Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Gift of Time........

Depression always made time my enemy. I was always in a hurry for it to pass in order to get through how miserable I was feeling.  Or I was dreading the passage of time because of fear over some anticipated horrible future event. What I didn't recognize is that time really is a gift...one that should be enjoyed and savored. I've spent much time wishing away that gift. And I truly regret that. The good thing is that recovery has given back my ability to appreciate the gift of time. I'm so grateful.

Today, as I was speaking to my Aunt A, I was reminded of that fact. Time passes. People we love become sick and die. Things change. But we have this ability to live each moment to it's fullest. Every moment is a gift.  If we are able to see that. Depression robbed me of some moments.  If you are consumed by overwhelming fear, sadness, and emptiness...joy is hard to see. Can you relate to this?

So, here is what I'm going to work on. I'm going to find the good part in every moment I'm given. Even the bad moments have redeeming qualities...a lesson learned perhaps. Or an opportunity made available. Or maybe the gift is simply
that I'm alive and able to feel love and joy. While I may feel the negative emotion, it will be my goal to move past it without being consumed.  I have medication today.  And I have tools. How about you?  Sending love.....


No comments: