Saturday, April 16, 2016

Learning the skills that lead to serenity.....

I've learned quite a bit over the last few years. One of the things I've learned is that "letting go" really is a sign of my mental health. Along with "setting boundaries", it is key to keeping me from falling into depression.  One issue I've really struggled with is work related. That is how to leave issues at work at work. Carrying problems from work to my life outside of work has been a serious problem for me. As has allowing other people's issues at work to infect me.  I have to admit, sometimes I do well at handling these stresses. Sometimes I do not.

My little job in a retail store is a great teacher.  When I moved to Tennessee, my goal was to keep it simple.  Working in a store is truly a way to do that for me.  There is a lot of fun for me working retail. For the most part, I love working with customers. I make them my friends and delight in giving them great service. It's an awesome job for me and a way to keep my life simple and satisfying.

But here is the other part. There is still drama. Some of which I've created. Some of which I've helped feed. And some of which I've had thrust on me. And none of it is healthy. Throughout my life, I've found that drama can ruin an otherwise satisfying job. I hate drama. Really, I do. It has been a source of frustration for me throughout my lifetime. And I've seen others experience the same.

So, I'm attempting to learn new skills. The first is to make a decision every work day that I will focus on the job and let go of the drama. The focus is on doing my best in regards to my daily tasks. And ignoring the parts that I don't do well with. In other words, letting go. When other people create drama, it is my intention to continue doing the parts of the job that give me satisfaction. The hard part is in learning not to create or feed the drama. Every day is a new opportunity to learn. And practice new skills. Can you relate? What one thing are you willing to try today to increase your serenity?  Let's talk! Sending love.....

No comments: