Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Suicide........

Suicide has been in the news lately. It appears that statistics indicate that suicide has increased by a whopping 24% over the last decade.  It is now the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. While there are significant details in those statistics that indicate populations most at risk, I'm going to discuss what I consider the most important aspect of the increase.  Lives are lost.  Valuable human lives which could be saved if we made the effort.

I know that mental health services aren't as readily available as needed. I found that out during the biggest mental health crisis of my life in Florida. Wherever I reached out...I was turned away. And the only reason I finally got help is because I demanded it by letting the authorities know I was suicidal. I had to scream to get help.  Asking nicely didn't work. I think the fact that I knew something about how to obtain mental health care saved my life.

Suicide is the natural result when mental health issues and the lack of adequate help bring someone to a state of absolute hopelessness. I know that I would have gone further down the road to self-destruction if I hadn't found my solution. I would have been another one of those statistics...a suicide. A wasted life. A loss to my family. A victim of a biochemical monster increasingly impacting our society. As evidenced by a 24% increase in suicide. Isn't it time we dealt with it? Sending much love......

No comments: