Monday, March 7, 2016

Getting back to work......

Mental illness shows up in every aspect of life.  In relationships. In finances. In daily experience. I found this out early because wherever Maxine went, I felt pain. There was no hiding.  My mentally ill mother was totally out there, and unfortunately, I carried the shame.  So, is it any surprise that I bcame a student of how my mental illness impacted my life generally?  And specifically, I was interested in how my work was impacted.  I frequently had problems at work.  In spite of my clear talent for working with my client base, I struggled.  Didn't complete my graduate degree.  Had little confidence.  Faced overwhelming depression which impacted performance.  I became caught up in the politics between the people I worked with. In short, work was not always a sanctuary for me. And really, I'm not alone. Work, or not working, was always an issue for my clients.  Which impacts survival.  I can't tell you how many clients were either struggling with obtaining social security.  Or trying to survive on it.

I've always wanted to work.  I enjoy it, even with the complications.  I enjoy the challenge. I love people types of jobs. Even with the difficulties, I want to work. But many of the people that I've known who live with serious and chronic mental illnesses can't work. And those who live with illnesses 'less debilitating' struggle when dealing with the realities of the workplace. I have a friend who is smart, capable, and professional.  But the stresses of the workplace have sometimes led to hospitalization and periods spent on disability.  The stresses at work frequently lead to breakdowns. Her mental illnesses always have an impact.

The most interesting conversation I ever had with her about this involved her view that she cannot be honest about her struggles at work.  She talked about how corporate life doesn't allow for honesty about "weaknesses". Very sad. I wonder why this woman can't seem to find support and mentoring in order to work through the issues? She is pretty clear that there isn't any understanding at work.  I suspect that is true. Stigma is alive and well.  Have you experienced stigma in the workplace? Let's talk! We know that challenging stigma means becoming painfully honest. Sending lots of love.........

No comments: