Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thoughts on Veteran's Day.......

Individuals who have served this country are not a political football.  Unfortunately, that is what they've become.  And I'm standing up on this significant day and saying....I'm tired of that.  It is estimated that 22 Vets per/day commit suicide.  HOW are we serving our Veterans if that is a real thing?  How does saying "Thank you for your service" have any meaning in a society in which our Vets...the people who fight for our country....are killing themselves? I've never been afraid to say what I think.  And I think that it is condescending to speak about service when we really have no intention of taking care of our troops.

So, what am I advocating for?  I'm advocating that we put our money where our mouths are.  I'm suggesting that we fund the benefits for our troops/Vets adequately.  I'm recommending that we stop paying lip-service to the needs of Vets and REALLY address the numbers.  Why are they killing themselves?  How can we prevent it?  There should be a safety-net.  Seriously.  What do we do when our Vets are suffering trauma?  Ignore it?  I know that my Dad was able to use his benefits to move forward.  He served in the Army in WWII.  And earned a Silver Medal for his efforts.  His benefits paid for the remainder of his education as an accountant.  He was able to purchase a house with his VA home-loan.  Was he able to access counseling services?  I don't know. But mental health care is just as important to the future success of our Vets as a home-loan. And I don't understand how that isn't seen.

There are some services provided.  But the fact is that 22 Vets per/day kill themselves.  How can what we offer be enough if that is the result? Are we not recognizing the severity of the trauma they experience during their time of service?  Are we not realizing that trauma that is job-related should be taken care of?  What do you think?  Please let me know.  Have any of my readers been service-members?  Have you needed access to help and found it difficult?  Why?  What are the barriers? This is an important conversation.  I hope that you will share your experiences with me. Maybe it can lead to real change.  Remember those waves?  Let's start another one!  Sending love.......

No comments: