Friday, November 6, 2015

The Nature of Change........

I'm not about the status quo.  I never have been.  I'm all about challenging injustice and working to right wrongs.  At my advanced age (cough, cough) of 58 years-old, that hasn't changed.  So, when I started to write this blog to simply educate, I eventually realized that what I was after was advocating for change.  And the change I'm after is seismic and total.  I want to see a compassionate and loving society before I die. I want to see mental illness treated with the same respect and dedication that you are more likely to find in how physical illness is approached.  How am I planning on accomplishing that?  By being who I am.  By sharing who I am with other people.  By encouraging people to start sharing themselves with others in order to continue the quest for change. If I'm not able to accomplish this rather grandiose goal?  Well, that is entirely possible.  But it is also possible that I will create waves that continue to build long after I'm gone.  There is amazing power in the individual.  We all know that.  Individuals have changed the course of civilization.  Many times in totally evil and nasty ways. Like Hitler.  Other times in ways that show compassion and goodness.  Like my hero, Martin Luther King Jr..

Now, I recognize that I'm not Martin Luther King.  I wouldn't know how to go about creating the kind of visibility that is required to become a cultural icon like Dr. King.  If truth be told, I wouldn't want to.  We tear down our icons.  As quickly as they become famous, the nay-sayers are out there looking for the skeletons in the closet.  And I haven't lived my life perfectly.  If you read my blog regularly, you will know that. But I do have something to offer.  I've lived a life filled with the impact of mental illness.  I know what that is about. And I have opinions.  Lots of them. So, what I'm doing is writing about what I know, what I've experienced, and how I feel/think about it. The thing that has surprised me is how many of you have read it. And shared with me how you relate.  Why did this come to mind?  Because I've just hit 60,000 views on my blog.  Every time I hit that kind of milestone, I have a moment that I call "Awe".  I'm stunned by the number.  I do know a bit about social media. I've learned how to use social media in pursuit of an audience.  But I don't spend all my time doing it.  So, my efforts have been limited.  STILL, I hit 60,000 views on a blog about mental illness. Incredible.

Why am I sharing this?  In a conversation the other day, I spoke with a young friend about racism. She told me that it has always been there and always will be. While I understand her belief that evil is always there, I prefer to live in possibility. If it is wrong, we have to talk about why it is wrong. We have to take actions that lead to righting the wrong.  And we have to be VERY patient, because change is sometimes extremely slow.  But we have to believe in possibility, because to not do so is a living death.  We cannot live a satisfying life in misery.  I know that.  I've lived with depression my whole life. I'm committed to changing the time I have left.  What about you?  Are you living in your commitment? Are you dedicated to possibility?  If so, let's talk!  There is much we can accomplish together. Sending love......

No comments: