Thursday, November 26, 2015

On a day of giving thanks......

I've been really blessed in my lifetime.  I've had experiences that have confirmed for me that people are basically good. Even the clients I worked with gave me many memories of basic goodness.  I have much love in my life.  So, today, I'm giving thanks for that love.  My daughter, Jana, and my 'other daughter' Julie, are the motivation for my continuing to strive and keep going.  Both of them are wonderful, loving human beings who put up with and celebrate me.  I can't tell you how much I owe them.  Really, I owe them my life. If I hadn't had the love and support from the two of them, I might not have made it out of Orlando. I really was in pretty bad shape, not seeing solutions, and not able to make decisions. Because of that, I know the power of depression.  I know the feeling that a lack of hope brings. If I had been able to figure out a way to kill myself without pain in Orlando, I might not be here. There were many nights that suicide looked like the best solution. But there was this spark.  I knew that my daughter loved me.  I knew that my death would cause her considerable pain. So, I kept going. And eventually that spark grew into a flame that carried me to a bus and the trip to Tennessee.

I see much power in love and kindness.  I've seen it work miracles. Which means that when I see unkindness and anger, I know there is another way. I see a great deal of unkindness and hate in this world. Given my tendency to become depressed, I probably shouldn't even watch the news. But unfortunately, because I grew up in a Jewish household which experienced the Holocaust on a personal level, I believe that my only defense is being aware.  I can't hide out. The current political season in the United States is really very frightening.  Our candidates, at least on one side, are celebrating hate.  They want us to hate all Muslims. They want us to hate all Hispanics. They want us to hate all Black people.  And for many of them...Jews are the enemy still.  I'm watching this with a great deal of fear.  I know where hate leads.  I heard the stories that my relatives told about their experiences in the Holocaust.  Whole branches of my family tree died. I really do know that hate is always there. But something about this seems very ominous.  Hate has become not only accepted in certain circles, it is truly celebrated. Why did this come to mind on a day that is dedicated to giving thanks?  Because I saw a truly disgusting example of that hatred.  And I'm going to share it with you because I think we ALL need to be aware.

Donald Trump is under "fire" for making fun of a man who has a disability.  He was taped doing so. There is no denial here.  He actually went there.  And as I listened to this truly horrifying episode, I was reminded that Hitler despised those with disabilities.  We know that because he gassed them along with the Jews. It is a short leap from fanning hatred to coming up with a 'final solution'.  And there is one important lesson that I learned from my recovery:  I cannot ignore the elephant in the room.  I have to identify it and challenge it.  So today, on a day in which I would prefer to be giving thanks for all the love in my life...I am instead writing about hatred. I hope you understand why this has to be so.  I truly have to do my part.  I have no choice. Thank you so much for listening.  And for all of you reading, I am sending my LOVE.  With true recognition that you come from all sorts of different races, ethnic groups, and religions.  Love is the answer.  We CAN work out the problems without resorting to all this hatred.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving....and a beautiful holiday season. Let's talk!


If you feel a need to actually view the video, here is the link:  http://aol.it/1XinKj0

No comments: