Sunday, November 22, 2015

Is love really the answer?.......YES!............

As someone who believes totally in the concept and practice of support, I think I tend to look at human relationships as the most important source of hope in dealing with mental illness. I know that love can do a whole lot to help people cope. And to lead to healing. Whether that love is romantic or not, love really is the answer in my book. I've told you about my anger at Maxine as I was growing up.  I've told you about the impact that she has had on my life.  But I'm not sure whether I've been able to adequately describe the love that permanently changed my life as I grew to understand her mental illness. While I never had the opportunity to tell her how much I really loved her, I know that somehow she knows. I know today that in spite of her illness, Maxine had an underlying loving spirit. And that spirit is part of my soul. And anything that I've accomplished started there. With my very severely mentally ill mother.

Over the last week at work, I've had two women reach out to me to tell me their stories.  I'm kind of used to that.  I make my interactions with the human beings I serve at work very personal.  I tease with them.  I welcome them.  I ask how they are doing. And amazingly, they tell me. One shared with me that she is facing her second Christmas at home without her beloved husband.  He died last year before the Christmas season. And she is clinging to her grandchildren to anchor her and move through this painful season. The second is a woman who always greets me with a smile. She laughs at me and with me.  I love seeing her because she is always dressed in pretty colors and a bright smile. The other day, she told me that she doesn't have to go back to her oncologist for the next ten months because she is cancer-free. We hugged and celebrated for a few minutes. I have to tell you that I was extraordinarily moved by both of those interactions.  I was thrilled that they shared with me.  I was honored that those two women are part of my life.  I was filled with love. And it made me very aware that love is really my antidote for the depression that has ruled my life.  Love.

So, today I got another reminder.  Two of the people that I value the most in my rather interesting and eclectic support system announced that they are in a relationship....with each other.  They are both sweet. They are truly adorable. And they live with mental illness. These two individuals have touched me in many ways. I've felt their support many times over the last couple of years. And it has made a difference for me. Because I utilize online support, these individuals reside in another country. But they've felt as real in my life as the people who live next door. And the love flows in every interaction I have with them. So, to hear that they've found love together was such a touching thing. It gives me hope.  Love is there. And all is right in my world at this moment.  Thanks so much, my friends.....I truly feel joy at your good news.

What does this lead me to?  How can I harness the joy I find in love to keep myself happy and stable? By recognizing it when it occurs. Depression thrives for me when I feel alone. I don't have to be 'in a relationship' to recognize that I'm part of the human community. I have found more sense of belonging than I ever did in "relationships".  Now, I'm looking for the love. And I'm finding it. How about you?  Can you see it?  Can you feel it?  I'm sending much love to you right now.  Let's talk!

No comments: