Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Making a Commitment to Go One Step Beyond......

In response to a previous article, I had someone reply to my question about what can we do together to advocate for change.  Her response was to educate people and to keep on raising awareness.  That is an awesome answer. But it doesn't address the ways that we can go beyond. How are we raising awareness? What do you do personally that contributes? And what can we, as a team, do to go beyond what is already happening to move this process forward?  The answers to that question aren't easy. But I have a few ideas right now that might move us forward:

1. Make a commitment to yourself that you will honestly share your struggles with one person that you are afraid to share them with.  If you have reason to believe that you will be in any kind of danger, pay attention to that. And don't choose that person to share with. Look for one person that feels relatively safe...and go for it. (Create a backup support system if it feels like it hasn't been positive.) 

2. Look for a local organization that is committed to creating change in the area of mental health. Find out who the 'movers and shakers' in your area are and reach out. Volunteer to do whatever you can do to help that local organization or community activist. 

3. Consider the possibility of using whatever skills you have to advocate. If you write, do so. Create a blog, tell your story, or write a poem.  If you are a visual artist, create art that reflects you and your struggle for mental health. If you are comfortable as a public speaker, look for opportunities to speak out about mental health. Share with other people.

4. Volunteer to assist others living with mental illness. Look for organizations looking for volunteers and get out there. An example might be training to man a phone at a crisis hotline.

5. Explore NAMI and any opportunities they may have to use your voice in raising awareness. Do the same thing for Bring Change 2 Mind. Find other advocacy groups and get involved.

6. Volunteer to write an article for my blog. I promise I will do my best to promote it. 

Here is what I'm going to be doing: I'm going to continue to research the topic of mental illness with a focus on people and organizations working to change things.Then I'm going to see if I can assist. I'm going to look for other ways that I can support folks who are living with mental illness. I'm going to follow up on community options that I know about. And I'm going to look for other places that I can have an impact. Finally, I will commit to let my audience know about any options I learn about. As you can see, I have a plan of action.  Do you?  What can you do to make changes?  If you are needing ideas, feel free to reach out to me.  I'd be happy to talk about it. This is our commitment. Not simply my commitment. I sure hope you will take it on. Let's talk!  Sending love......

No comments: