Sunday, November 1, 2015

Back to Basics.......and why playing with a truck was a great reminder.......

The other day, I ran into a toddler. This little boy had been given a truck to play with. And he was looking for someone to play with him.  So, since I had been talking to him...he thought I might be a good option. He sent the truck in my direction.  And I responded in kind, sending it back to him. We spent a few minutes rolling the truck back and forth.  Then I had to go back to my 'adult duties' and had to leave him to find someone else to play with. But, I have to tell you...this simple interaction made my day.  I was totally happy.  Probably beyond the proportions of what actually happened. But it was a great reminder of what is important in life.  When we allow ourselves to go 'back to basics', we might find much joy.

What are the basics for my recovery?  Here they are:  First of all, I have to remember that life is not something to be endured.  We have a limited amount of time.  And if we don't grab the best we can find, we are losing that opportunity.  Does that mean that if I'm not rich and powerful, I've wasted my life?  No.  Not for me.  I find the greatest joy in the small things.  I love a pretty day and a walk in nature.  I value time with my daughter. And I love to play and joke around.  I love to hang out with friends and chat.  I love music. And dance. (When my physical health allows it.)   I love to read and write. And I'm absolutely charmed by children.  Of all ages.

Second of all, I have a right to recovery.  I have a right to live without the stress of anxiety and the overwhelming nature of depression.  I have a right to find help if I am struggling.  In short, I have a right to comfort.  But I have to be willing to work for that.  Which means that I have to take the next logical step to ensure that my rights are honored.  It starts with me. Now, not everybody has the skills to do the things that I can to ensure that I get the help I need.  So, I personally believe that those who don't have those skills should be able to get help from other people. On a professional level and within their support system.

Finally, I believe that my recognition of my worth is a basic.  I'm a valuable human being.  And so are you.  Therefore, we should be willing to fight for our lives.  I'm willing to do so. In a small way, I consider writing this blog to be my recognition that I need to fight. Here is where I say, this is why I consider options for mental health treatment to be important.  I recognize your value and significance, so I am able to advocate for you.  We both deserve health. To act on that right, we can create a partnership.  A movement. It really does start with us.  Can I count on you?

I look forward to seeing my little buddy with the truck on other occasions.  I would love to play with him again. His reminder that 'back to the basics' is important was valuable to me.  And besides, I love playing truck.  And I find great joy in the reminder that children are goodness in its purest form. What brings you 'back to the basics'?  Let's share!  I would love to get to know you. Sending love! 

No comments: