Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Resources.......Finding help.....

When I was a case manager, the most important tool I had was access to resources.  The resources to solve problems.  Food assistance.  Housing.  Counseling. Health care. Insurance. Treatment. All the things that people might need when they are struggling. The fact that I was a case manager meant that it was my job to find what was available. And I had a whole network of assistance in order to do it. First of all, in at least one job, I had a book with resources.  It was a great source of ideas that I could use to look for the solutions. I also had experience. As you work in the field, you learn about what's available. I can't tell you how many phone calls and visits to agencies helped me to figure out the social service landscape. It took lots of time and effort. There were many failures. And there were also some successes. Additionally, I had a network of people that worked in other agencies and other settings that helped me to learn. Some were even co-workers.  I learned amazing things from the people I worked with. Finally, I had my own personality.  I was stubborn. I wanted a solution. I was persistent. I kept trying even when I had many NO answers. I was creative. I looked for the solution that wasn't readily apparent. I loved the search.  And I think I was relatively good at it.

Fast forward a few years and put me in another state and the story was different. I was no longer working in the field because I'd made a conscious choice to do something else. I'd gone through some serious down times and my depression was pretty much out of control. I had no idea of what to do.  I had no access to insurance and medication. My physical health wasn't the best. Add in relationship issues and a business that wasn't able to sustain me, and you have quite a mess. Friends encouraged me to act like the case manager I used to be. And I honestly tried. But, literally, I had no success.  I tried to find the resources that I could use to deal with it.  But there was nothing. I reached out and found out that the agencies I tried to contact to help me had no follow through. I would go in, be given some hope, and never hear from them again. As a matter of fact, they usually avoided my phone calls. What was the result? I spent time in a hospital.  I had to use the most expensive option in order to help myself.

Why am I telling you this?  As I've told you before, I'm a strong proponent of an easily accessible system that will aid people to obtain treatment for mental illness.  When I worked in the system, there was a 'safety-net'. You could get help for people. It certainly wasn't perfect. Sometimes I spent lots of time looking for the options. But I could usually find them. And if the solution wasn't perfect, I could find something that might help as a 'band-aid' to get us through until I found something better. But since I  have worked in the field, things have changed. With all the attention paid to the consequences of throwing people out of the safety-net, I can't understand why we don't get it. Having a wide-range of options available to people could vastly change our country. When people are able to get help, what might they accomplish?  I want you to understand that this is only one facet of many complex factors that influence the number of deaths connected to mental illness. But it is a significant one. I'm so grateful that the hospital was available at the time I needed it. And I got great care. But why couldn't I get what I needed at a lower level of care? I'm very aware that I could have died in that situation. I was heading in that direction. I couldn't see any options. I was totally out of ideas.

What is available in your community? How do people find help? Do you have a place to call during the tough times?  If you are a family member, do you have access to your own assistance?  Do you know where your loved one can get help?  Let's discuss this.  I want to know whether you are able to find help.  We are paying all sorts of attention politically to taking care of mental illness.  Is it actually improving?  I'm going to share one final memory. One time in Florida, I called a crisis line and asked for resources.  They gave me a small list.  I called every option...and NOTHING was available.  I got NO help.  Is that what you are experiencing?  Let's talk!

No comments: