Friday, September 25, 2015

Harry the squirrel and looking for the tools that work for you......

A good friend of mine is getting treatment for depression related to the hormonal changes connected to menopause. She also has particular life situations that feed this depression.  I'm pretty proud of the fact that she is facing these issues head on. So, I've asked her how everything is going. And she shared a story with me to explain why she is feeling better. She saw a therapist who utilizes hypnosis. And though my friend was a bit skeptical, she allowed this therapist to hypnotize her. The fun part came when the therapist asked her for something that took her to a place where she felt good.  My friend had rescued a squirrel when she was in college and her rescue saved this baby squirrel's life. She has positive feelings about squirrels. So, the therapist ran with it and used that situation to create kind of a "happy place" for her. My friend admits she had a hard time not laughing as the therapist did it. But ironically, it worked.  It sounds hilarious, but she can now center herself by thinking about squirrels. In particular, she focuses on her friend Harry the Squirrel. Who she named Harry because he was a bald infant when she found him. She laughingly told me that all she has to do is recite "fluffy squirrel" to herself and she finds herself calming.

What is important in this story? We all find peace in different ways.  My daughter loves petting her cat.  Or playing with that sand that you can make stick together. I love the act of writing. Getting lost in positive thoughts is helpful for me. I think that sometimes even approaching my computer has become part of the becoming calm experience for me.  I tend to let go of the stress when I do so. I also find peace when I walk outside. The pretty scenery near my home makes everything feel better. I think that it is important to cultivate these kinds of calming experiences. People meditate. They listen to music. They read. They focus on a beach in Kokomo. Some people garden. Or they think about a person or experience that made them happy. Really, nothing is ridiculous.  Whatever works for you is the right thing.

I think that learning how to do these rituals is an important step towards living life on life's terms. We rely on our mother to calm us when we are infants. But eventually, we have to learn how to nurture ourselves. I've always had a hard time doing that.  I was too busy judging myself. And of course, my obsessive thinking about problems didn't help. But I have learned that if I don't take care of myself, nobody else can do it for me. So, I look for ways to find peace. How have you learned to nurture yourself? What are the rituals that bring you peace?  Let's talk!

No comments: