Friday, October 2, 2015

Making Progress Together..........

I was asked by a friend on FB for the name of an organization known for mental health related political advocacy.  And I drew a blank.  Just for a moment. Then two organizations came to mind. NAMI has been in the 'business' of advocating for those living with mental illness since 1979.  The second one is a more recent venture started by the actress Glenn Close because her sister has bipolar disorder. That one is called Bring Change 2 Mind. I know that there are many other organizations out there, but I'm not personally familiar with them. So, what is the point of my mentioning this?  I have been very honest about the fact that part of the reason for this blog has been advocacy. We KNOW the system for caring for mental illness is a mess. We KNOW that stigma impacts the lives of people living with mental illness. We KNOW that mental illness has a direct impact on the safety and lives of many in this country. And we KNOW that mental illness can lead to death.  We need to make changes.

There are many ways to make change. One of them is to partner with organizations in order to work together. When people join in an organized fashion to create a movement, there are more shoulders to carry the burden.  And the impact is likely to be stronger. But there is also another way.  When people, as individuals, reach out and educate others about the realities of living with mental illness, they are also advocating.  Whenever I read a blogger who writes about their struggle, I'm aware of their importance in fighting stigma. When someone takes a risk and shares 1:1 with someone who has no understanding of mental illness, they are also advocating.  The only way to kill stigma is for people to get to know the human beings within the struggle. We aren't monsters. And we aren't weak. Mental illness isn't a character defect.  Nobody will find that out unless we are honest. However if we are honest, we are going to risk stigma and some personal pain. Which is why the decision to 'come-out' can be a difficult one.

Basically, I have chosen to start my advocacy as an individual writing about my experiences with mental illness. Ironically, I more intensely feel that I'm part of a group as a result of that individual effort. But I would love to add to what I do. I know that I can join with others and bring my advocacy into the more formal part of the movement. So, here is what I'm going to ask of you.  I want to hear about the organizations that you are aware of that are doing the work of challenging stigma and changing the landscape for those living with mental illness. Share them with me so I can expand my horizons. And maybe I can do the same for you by suggesting ways that you can advocate. The only way forward is to communicate openly and honestly. Many of you have gifted me with your ideas, opinions, and experiences. I want to continue to hear from you. We can build a movement. Let's talk! Sending all my love.......

No comments: