Saturday, September 5, 2015

Going the distance.....

Music inspires me.  I can honestly say that my recovery has musical accompaniment. And I find much meaning in the lyrics of the music that I listen to. Today, I was listening to a song called "Go The Distance".  Written by Alan Mencken and lyricist David Zippel for Disney's Hercules in 1997, I was astonished by how much it had to say to me about my recovery. Here are some of the lyrics that I could relate to:


I will find my way
I can go the distance
I'll be there someday
If I can be strong
I know every mile
Will be worth my while
I would go most anywhere
To feel like I belong


And I won't look back
I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track
No I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope
But I won't lose hope
Till I go the distance
And my journey is complete


From the time that I first became aware of Maxine's mental illness through the times that I've dealt with my own, I spent much time looking for a hero to save me. Through relationships. Through therapy. Through educating myself. It took years for me to get it, but now I do. I'm my own hero. And my recovery is my responsibility. I will go the distance. And it will be worth my while because I'm very much worth recovery. My own effort is what will bring me success. While I am aware that I can reach out and get help, I know that my attitudes and my willingness are what will help me "go the distance".  Nobody can do this for me.

Recovery from mental illness seems like a relative term to me.  The illness will always be there. That's why it's an "uphill slope".  In order to "stay on track", you have to recognize the power of the illness and keep going anyway. This journey is one day at a time for me. I have experience with how quickly depression can take over my life. When will the journey be "complete"? Probably not until I take my last breath. My recovery is a life-long commitment. Can you relate to this?  How are you handling the journey to recovery? Can you relate to the lyrics of this song? How?  Do you have music that inspires your recovery efforts?  Let's talk!

No comments: