Thursday, August 6, 2015

Hormones?.........

I have a good friend who is struggling with depression due to hormonal problems.  Recently, she has recognized that and is seeking help for it.  And she requested that I might want to write about the potential relationship between hormones and mental health. And I do have to acknowledge that I have something to say on that topic.  While Maxine was sick throughout my childhood, there was some improvement after she finished menopause. She didn't get all better, but she did show less anger.  It wasn't perfect, but she was able to have a relationship with her daughter(s).  She lived in Florida for a period of time.  I didn't live there at that time, but I had the impression that my sister was able to influence her behavior a little more easily.  Did her anger go away completely? Definitely not. We saw all the old behaviors. The change wasn't total. But it led me to question whether there is some impact from hormones in people struggling from serious mental illness. Or frankly, in people living with mental illness on the other side of the spectrum.  Even those living with less 'serious' issues with mental illness may recognize that hormonal component.

Today, women acknowledge that there are various times in life that hormones may influence mental health. Post-partum depression? Menopause?  That time of the month?  We even joke about it.  I'm relatively sure that they joked in my Mom's day.  It was also used as a justification for sexist thinking that kept women out of the workplace. Today, it is much less about sexism, and more importantly, about health issues that women deal with. It is increasingly becoming accepted that there are physical components in mental illness/mood disorders. And some of these components are hormonal. And as the medical community and researchers continue to look for that mind/body connection, maybe we will learn even more about the way that our bodies influence our mental health.  I'm not a doctor or scientist, so I'm not going to talk about this in an academic sense.  What I do want to point out is that this kind of knowledge is really important.  I don't remember doctors having the knowledge to treat a hormonal imbalance in order to improve mental health when I was young.  Admittedly, maybe they knew more than I give them credit for.  I wasn't as conscious at that time of what the field was like. Maxine NEVER made any serious attempt to work on her mental illness. So I never heard about a doctor making an attempt to treat her psychiatric issues or the physical problems that might have contributed.  And by the way, during part of this...I was a child.  And children don't know everything that is going on.

What is the most important aspect of this conversation?  It is important to look at every aspect of your life when you are trying to deal with a mental health problem. You can't ignore the physical.  I'm proud that my friend recognizes that.  She is going to a doctor to deal with the hormonal issue.  If you are struggling, you need to go to a primary care doctor first in order to rule out physical issues. I know that my hypothyroid directly contributes to my depression.  And as my thyroid issue has gotten worse, so has my mental health.  If I stop taking that thyroid medication, I'm likely to be suicidal again.  Which means that little pill is as important as my anti-depressant medication. Of course, there are people that choose other methods to treat.  I support those using acupuncture, vitamins and supplements, and other methods to deal with physical issues. Whatever works.  But I encourage you to look at the possibility that you might need medical treatment. Struggling isn't heroic if there are ways to make things easier.  In order to fulfill your responsibility to yourself, it is best if you get the help you need.  I understand the difficulty in obtaining help due to insurance issues and lack of ability to access healthcare.  But if there is any way to do it, you need to.  And if you can't see the way to do so, use your support system to get ideas.  As always, I'm open to talking if you need support.  Feel free to reach out.  Sending love.......

To the guys:  I know that there can be issues for men also.  Maybe you can educate me about what you have experienced?  

No comments: