Sunday, May 31, 2015

Myths about mental illness.......

Because I'm proud of what I'm doing to discuss the reality of mental illness in my blog, I frequently share what I'm doing in a variety of settings.  One day at work, I spoke to a woman visiting our business about it. At the time, she had been sharing with me about the fact that she writes and has actually published a book of poems.  I told her about the blog.  Which means that I also told her about my history of depression.  Her response?  "Don't be depressed."  I wasn't all that surprised by her response. I've heard similar things my whole life.  Most people living with mental illness can relate. We've all spoken to people who tell us that all we have to do is change our attitude. There are myths about many mental illnesses. I'm sure that readers of my blog can tell me about incidences in their own life that reflect ignorance about mental illness and the biochemical nature of it.  So, when I read this letter from a frustrated person living with mental illness, I could truly relate. Here is the link:  http://bit.ly/1AFHq5E

I've often compared the ways that we deal with the realities of physical illness to those of mental illness.  The view that people can simply "snap out of it" is part of what makes it difficult for people to actually deal with their illnesses.  Many people living with mental illness buy into the stigma. Stigma isn't a small thing.  It can even lead to death.  All you have to do is google it to find many examples of mentally ill people killed by the police. So, our attitudes about mental illness aren't just reflected in our semantics. They are evidence of our lack of understanding. And they are reflected in our behavior. That can contribute to the difficulty that someone with mental illness can have in moving into recovery. And many times it can lead to death. Part of what I aim to do in my blog is educate. I want to have people see me as a 'normal' human being with an illness.  I have diabetes. And I also have depression.

When Maxine was ill, I didn't understand that her behavior was a result of illness. I knew she was mentally ill, but I still held on to the notion that she was choosing. Which meant that I was blaming. It was her fault that she was ill. At some point, I had a really serious revelation. I finally got it. Mental illness is biochemical. My mother was so sick that she really had no control. We have to get to a point where we understand that there is a continuum. When someone is dying of cancer, we don't accuse them of making the choice. We are supportive and look for the best ways to treat them or make them comfortable. When I see society doing the same for those living with mental illness, I will know that we have finally moved out of the dark ages.  It is time. Let me know what you think!  In discussion, we can find healing.


No comments: