Monday, April 20, 2015

Finding your own path.....


Here is the article that I'm basing this on:  http://bit.ly/1F6mkOb  And here is what I got out of this article:  My path is my path. While doctors, medicines, therapists, yoga, authors, and other 'cures' are important...I have to find what works for me.  And you have to find what works for you.  This is a concept that some people have a hard time with.  I can't tell you the number of times that I've had people tell me that if I only did this one thing...I would be better.  Like the author of the article, I tried acupuncture for anxiety.  It did nothing for me, except convince me that acupuncture is very uncomfortable for me.  I tried a self-help/educational group that promised that a certain way of talking about life would change things.  And while the group was awesome in some ways, it didn't touch the depression.  So, here is what the article very clearly explains:  Recovery from depression, and other mental illnesses, is multi-faceted. While one thing may help you deal with some symptoms, you may have to use other tools to deal with others.  And outside 'judgments' can make it tough to find those tools. You don't have to adopt anyone else's views or judgments in order to find your healthy place.  You have to trust yourself.

I've found that medicine makes a difference for me.  Both my thyroid medicine and an anti-depressant seem to be the optimum medical tools for me. And I can't tell you how many times people have lectured me about taking medicine.  I've been told so many times that "if only" I did this or that, all would be fine. Medicine isn't necessary.  So, periodically, I question my meds.  Am I doing something bad for my body?  If I worked harder, would it be unnecessary to take medicine?  Others sure think so.  At this point, I'm not so sure.  I know that the medicines make me capable of using the other tools.  Without them, I can't seem to get a handle on recovery. During one of the worst times in my life...in Orlando...I didn't have medicine. And I landed in the hospital.  I don't want to go back there again. Medicine will continue to be something I utilize to avoid hospitalization. Your opinion is immaterial.  If I choose to change that, it will be with the assistance of a physician.

What about the other tools...diet, exercise, support groups, therapy, writing, etc.?  I use what works for me.  I support others who use other tools.  And whenever I speak to someone else about what they might try, I'm very clear that I'm suggesting something because it works for me.  I don't tell them "if you only" did what I do, you would be healthy.  I truly believe that we all have to find our path. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others. I love this article because the author recognizes two things that I consider to be the truth: 1. We are all individuals needing to find our own path.  AND  2. Mental illness isn't 'cured' by one thing.  It requires many tools.  And we need to trust ourselves to find our particular solutions. 

What about you?  Do you deal with people that tell you what you 'have to' do to get well?  How do you handle it?  Does it shake your confidence in your path?  We can support each other through that. Remember that you are the expert on you.  Let's talk!  Sending my love......

No comments: