Monday, March 23, 2015

Creativity and mental illness.......

Vincent Van Gogh is my favorite artist.  And that is not only due to his beautiful paintings, although I adore 'Starry Night'.  No, I love Vincent Van Gogh because I know about his troubled life due to mental illness.  My friend recently sent me an article on Van Gogh and his struggles.  The most well-known incident in his history of mental illness involved Van Gogh cutting off his ear and handing it to a woman for safe-keeping.  Clearly, Van Gogh was mentally ill.  This article talks about periods of depression, anxiety, and possible bipolar disorder. Vincent Van Gogh died as a result of suicide at 37 years old.  Much too young for such an awesomely talented human being.  Here is the link to the article: http://bit.ly/1w6zhn1 For my friends living with mental illness and finding a strong connection between that illness and creativity, this is a wonderful read.

Here is my take-away from this article:  I do think that there is a connection between life struggles and creativity.  And for Van Gogh, while his illness ultimately caused an early death, he recognized the connection between his illness and his work.  I see that connection between creativity in many of the people that I've known dealing with mental illness.  From the former client living with depression who expressed his creativity in decorating his sister's home to a client who was a member of a successful band and is currently writing a book.  I've seen creativity in many friends dealing with mental illness.  And I see this creativity as a support for recovery.

Even Maxine was a talented artist.  She had taken classes at the Chicago Art Institute when she was younger.  And she told me that she had supported herself by taking pictures as a young woman on a trip to California.  Unfortunately, in her case...her mental illness robbed her of her ability to create. Although the craving to create remained.  Maxine tried to do leather work and made 'shadow boxes' as a mentally ill woman.  And the comparison to what she had done as a healthier younger woman was heartbreaking.  Maxine's ''creativity' was heavily impacted by her illness.  You could truly tell that this was a tortured woman.  If you compared the 'work' that she did while sick with the gorgeous drawings she did as a younger woman, you would be stunned at the deterioration.  I certainly was.  It was truly a reflection of the pain of her illness.  As a child, it truly horrified me.  But I didn't understand the underlying emotion my Mom was expressing.

So, here is my conclusion:  I think that creativity can be a support to recovery.  I see that in my friend/former client, Maureen Herman.  Her band, Babes in Toyland, has started to tour again.  And she is writing a book about her recovery, which promises to be amazing. She might have lost some of her edge creatively as she struggled...but her artistic vision really is part and parcel of the solution. And that can be true for others dealing with mental illness. Recognizing and utilizing 'artistic vision' for recovery can be a powerful tool.  I see that on a regular basis even now.  As I get to know people in support groups online, I see how many of them share art.  And in that art, I see hope.  Can you imagine how awesome it would have been if Van Gogh had been able to utilize his 'artistic vision' to deal with his mental illness?  Wouldn't it have been wonderful if he had more years to awe us with his talent?  In this article lies an important truth. Art gives people purpose.  And the passion that they put into their creations can be a tool for recovery.  Or it can be a reflection of the illness and nothing more.

How do you see this working in your life?  Do you see your art as a support for your recovery?  I would love to hear your story.  Let's talk!!


No comments: