Saturday, January 31, 2015

Credentials......

I believe that people who offer you a service should have the credentials and training to actually serve you.  If someone is offering you therapy or quasi-medical advice, they should be able to back that up with credentials.  Offering something because it works for you is something different.  That is peer support.  And more than acceptable.  However, it doesn't involve the exchange of money.  Therefore, asking about how the person looking to train you has gained their expertise is an important question. As a case manager, I learned quite a bit about humility.  I learned that it wasn't a good idea for me to go beyond my training in offering people services.  I was hired by my agency because I had
a certain educational level.  And I had a certain amount of experience.  Which matched the legal and other requirements for my job description.  Did that mean that I should advise you about your medications? Well, no.  It didn't.  That meant that I should pass you on to medical personnel at my agency, including doctors and nurses who did have the expertise to work with you on medications.  I run across people in support groups who don't necessarily have training or education which are equal to making recommendations regarding medication.  However, sometimes they do.  And that is a little more 'iffy', but it is OK.  As long as they aren't talking you into believing they are an 'expert'.  Or if they are charging you money.

In my opinion, there are many options that aren't medically related in terms of recovery that have the same distinctions.  If you go to an agency, that uses a particular focus, they should have people on staff with the training to do it.  So, for example, if you think you might benefit from a DBT approach, find someone with the actual training to provide the therapy. If you look for a 'Life Coach' or 'Relationship Coach' or even for a 'Financial Coach', that means that you should ask questions about credentials also.  What makes this person think that they have the training or credentials to advise you about your life?  Your relationships?  Or your money?  And here is the tough part. If as part of their training, they cite a training program that has nothing concrete to do with mental health, relationship counseling, or financial issues...you should still be asking questions.  It is a simple matter of integrity to not go beyond your limitations in offering services.

I never....I repeat....NEVER refer anyone to a specific person.  Unless I know that they have the credentials to offer the service that someone is seeking.  I am uncomfortable referring people to programs or people unless I know that they are subject to licensure.  Licensing helps people find professionals that are not abusive. And if someone IS abusive, licensing can provide you with some recourse in case you are abused.  What led to this discussion?  Periodically, I run into people that label themselves as expert.  And I feel a need to make it clear that I don't refer anybody that talks to me to anyone without credentials.  I don't refer anybody that talks to me to anybody specific for the most part.  Here is what I offer: Peer support.  I have worked professionally, but referring someone to a specific individual means that I endorse what they are providing.  I'm not usually willing to take that on.  If I do, it is because I know about that person and how they operate professionally.  If I see something in a group that works for me, I will recommend that group.  Usually not a group that charges money because I'm very aware that there are abuses whenever money is charged. And mentally ill people might not have the financial capability to pay the charges of such programs. Instead, I talk about how I've had some benefit from the program.  If you choose to check it out, that is your decision. So....here is where I make recommendations.  I ask that you call NAMI for referrals. And local mental health facilities.  Or that you contact a practitioner you find and ASK about credentials. That is all.  Just to be perfectly clear.....

All my love.....

No comments: