Saturday, December 27, 2014

Employment and people living with mental illness.....

Here is the article that I'm basing this on:  http://bit.ly/1xoQruQ  Although it talks about California, I'm pretty certain that what it talks about is common throughout this country.  I'm watching as a friend who lives with mental illness is struggling with this topic.  And trust me, it opens up old wounds for me too.  Staying employed when you are dealing with the mood swings of bipolar disorder or chronic depression is not easy.  As I've said before, those of us living with mental illness have much instability in life. For me, it led to difficulties in coping with job stresses.  I still deal with that.  I still want to walk away when things get tough.  I want to hide.  I don't cope....I avoid.  Or at least I did.  Now, I try to remember that I need to walk through the difficulty.  Not run away.  I had a whole caseload of people when I worked in the field of mental health.  Most of them were so cowed by the possibility of attempting to work, they didn't even consider the possibility of trying. Those that did work didn't find a whole lot of support at work.  Because of the stigma, they didn't even share their mental health status with their co-workers.  Or with a boss.

So, what are the options?  Perhaps you can rely on disability. And that is extremely difficult to prove. For most clients, they became homeless before they could get disability. Or maybe you can get public assistance. Which is also sometimes not easy to get.  And isn't always enough to keep you housed and fed. For someone struggling, the question of how to provide for themselves is a core issue. And it definitely keeps people sick.  Without a job, how do you get the medical care necessary to deal with depression or bipolar disorder?  When I had a failing business and was trying to deal with my depression, I found out that I wasn't eligible for Medicaid.  And that led directly to hospitalization. Without intervention, I found it difficult to do the work necessary to deal with the problems in my business. I found it impossible to figure out what I needed to do.  And because I was not eligible for insurance, I wasn't able to take care of the biochemical issues contributing to my depression.  And of course, recovery doesn't tend to happen without treatment.

So, as this article says:  Up to 90% of those dealing with mental illness struggle with employment issues.  What do you do when you hit a rough spot and things are spiraling out of control?  I love the solution that this article offers.  For many living with mental illness, the best option is to work in places that help others struggling with mental illness.  What a concept.  That is why I write my blog. Of course, I don't make money.  I have a j.o.b. for that.  But I've chosen a job that is minimally stressful.  For the most part.  I still struggle, make no mistake.  But my focus is in other areas.  I work.  And then I leave the stress of work and come home to my writing.  And my talks with other mentally ill people. Which is part of the reason that I feel stable today.

For my dear friend, I believe you have the instinct to do what you need to do.  Hold tight.  Remember that your illness makes coping difficult.  Look for businesses that you can do.  And take a stand. Don't panic. That is simply another way to run away.  Call me and we can talk about options. I love you. And you are not alone.

No comments: