Friday, May 13, 2016

Access and an unexpected step in the right direction....

Before I tell you about this, I have to give you a little background. I work for a retail store. Up to now, I haven't been specific about which one.  I saw no need. Now I have a reason to tell you. My story is about an innovation that my company is implementing. And I'm very proud.  I work for Walgreens. I really have enjoyed working for this company. As I've said before, I love having a job with lots of public contact. Retail was a really good option for a job leading me into my retirement years. Walgreens has been a pleasant place for me to work.  I hope to continue working for this company for a long time. It really is the kind of job that helps me stay mentally healthy.  This is truly an example of finding the job I need at the right time. I would also like to add that Walgreens has been very supportive of my activism in the area of mental health. I've been grateful for that.

Imagine my surprise when I ran across information about what my company is doing to increase access to mental health services.  Walgreens is adding a mental health component to their online services. The mental health component is a platform that provides a free assessment tool for many mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and PTSD. In addition, Walgreens will provide follow-up in the form of referrals to local mental health practitioners. In some places, Walgreens pharmacists will provide screenings and 24/7 secure chat services to ask about issues with medication.

As I've frequently discussed, the best way to increase the likelihood that people will get help is to provide easy access to mental health care. What could be easier than an online assessment with follow-up?  It is important to know where Walgreens finds the expertise to provide the assessments. And the answer is that they are collaborating with a mental health expert (Breakthrough Behavioral, Inc.) and MHA (Mental Health America).

What I find so hopeful is that this is a creative solution. NAMI estimates that one in five people will experience a mental illness in a given year. That isn't a small problem. And as I've often discussed in this space, care for mental illness is hard to come by. Providing adequate access to treatment will require out of the box thinking.  This is a wonderful example.

Do you know of another example of innovation in the area of mental healthcare?  I'd love to hear about it.  Let's talk!  Sending much love.......

If you would like to find out more about this innovative plan, Google 'Walgreens Mental Health'. There is an abundance of articles and explanations.....


No comments: