Monday, December 7, 2015

The holiday blues.......

The last few years in Tennessee have been a blessing. I especially enjoy holiday time because I'm seeing my little family regularly.  And that has been an awesome change from the time that I spent in Florida. Even when in a supposedly committed relationship, I remember feeling a hole when my daughter wasn't there during the holidays. I've always believed that you could create family wherever you are, but I found this a difficult thing to do in Florida.  I never felt quite right.  Florida didn't feel like home to me. And the holidays were always a little empty as a result. Why am I talking about this? Because I'm very aware of how difficult the holidays can be when something is 'not quite right' in your life. I've had people reach out to me recently and share about how tough it is to be without a loved one during this time. And I get that because I experienced the same thing when I lived in Florida. And that was a trigger for depression for me.

Depression can be triggered by a variety of life situations. I'm sure that if I spoke to people about what triggers depression for them in my support groups, I would get a lot of interesting answers. And if we are looking at depression and the holidays, you can be sure that it gets a lot worse during this time. If you are struggling, the holidays are a reminder that all isn't right in your world. Because we are 'supposed to' be happy at this time of year, that is a difficult realization. And depression is frequently the end result. The last couple of years that I spent in Florida were pretty bad. I consider those holidays the worst that I've ever experienced in my life. And frankly, I'm grateful that they are long behind me. Whatever is going on in my life at this time, it can't compare. Those couple of years were lonely and hopeless. I think I can survive almost anything else.

Why am I discussing this?  I know that the holidays are sometimes pretty tough when you are living with a mental illness. And I want you to know that I understand that. And I empathize with you if that is going on in your life. I also want you to know that I'm a resource if you need to know that someone out there cares about what is going on and wants to help. If I can be nothing more than a sounding board, I want to be available to the best of my ability. Let me know if I can help. One of the most important things about using support is that you become willing to let other human beings in to help you deal with the experience. Feel free to let me in. Sending love.  Let's talk!

No comments: