Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sexuality........

Got your attention, didn't I?  Which is an indication that sexuality is a big part of life.  Everyone's life. We all have fears about it.  We all have desires.  Whether we act on those desires or not, it influences our behavior.  And that isn't changed for those living with mental illness.  In a conversation with a family member, I was reminded about that fact.  The truth is that sexuality can be tied up with mental health in a big way.  I've known that since I was child.  Maxine had a kind of obsession with sexuality as part of her illness.  She regularly called my Dad 'queer' and claimed over and over that he had hurt her sexually. As a matter of fact, she was known to say this in public. Talk about feeling ashamed! I was mortified. She also called her children 'sluts'.  At the time this started, I was under ten years old. That alone has influenced my experience with sex throughout my lifetime. Shame and sex are tied together for me.  It takes really hard work to disconnect the two. And I have to admit that I'm still in the process of working on that.  At 58 years old. This has been made worse by my conviction that I'm ugly and therefore not sexually desirable.  So, I've struggled to find a healthy approach. And I have to be honest, sometimes I didn't do well with it. I've acted out sexually to prove my worth.  I've avoided sex for years at a time. Again because I felt like I wasn't worth it.  It has really been a difficult part of my life.  And I know that many people living with mental illness can relate.

This difficulty regarding sexuality takes many forms.  Many people struggle because of sexual identity issues.  LGBTQ people do sometimes live with mental illness. Much of their struggle regarding sexuality can be attributed to societal disapproval and the decision about whether to actually acknowledge their sexual identity.  Those basic issues can be a huge trigger when people are struggling. In addition, medication may be an issue that impacts sexuality.  Many mental illnesses are treated with medications that result in sexual problems. Take a look at the side-effects of your medication.  Here is an article that can educate you about some of the basics:  http://bit.ly/1fpc49i  But if you look a little further, you will find even more information. It really is important to clearly understand the impact of medications. That's the only way to make informed decisions. It's also important to talk to the medical professionals treating you.  Even if they are clearly uncomfortable talking about it with you. As a matter of fact, if you can't talk about 'those' side-effects with your doctor, it is time to find a new one.

Sexuality and the impact on it come from how you view yourself as well as the impact of the illness itself.  I know that when I'm depressed, my decision to become sexual with someone is influenced by that fact. It isn't healthy and affirming.  Neither is my avoidance of my sexuality. Depression has made the gift of sexuality something that leads to much guilt and shame. So, what is the answer?  For myself, I have to be willing to realize that the filter of my depression has an enormous impact on my sexuality.  And I have to be willing to work on it with the help of my support system.  I know that many people can relate. Therapy can also be helpful.  How has your mental illness influenced your sexuality?  What has worked to help you deal with the impact?  When we open up, we find ways to heal.  Let's talk!

No comments: