Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dealing with shame and recognizing our worth........

Shame and stigma.  The words 'mental illness' conjure up all sorts of thoughts in people.  Most of the time these thoughts involve judgments about the worth of people with mental illness. What do you think of when someone says 'mental illness'?  Do you think of a person who has a mental illness as strong?  Do you think of a person who has a mental illness as intelligent?  Do you think of a person with mental illness as capable of functioning?  If not, you don't know a whole lot about mental illness.  There are a variety of people who can identify themselves as having a mental illness. Many of them are capable.  And functional.  And intelligent.  I consider myself one of those people.  I function on a day to day basis. I work.  I live on my own. I maintain relationships with friends and family.  And, for the most part, I have a pretty solid acceptance of who I am...in spite of my mental illness. So, when I read this article in the Huffington Post about whether people should be ashamed of themselves for having a mental illness, I was fascinated about what they would say.  Here is the link: http://huff.to/1IwAMBm

Obviously, the article didn't advocate shame for those dealing with mental illness. The answer to the question "When should you be ashamed of your mental illness?" is never.  I'm going to repeat that. The answer is never.  Shame about mental illness should never be part of the equation when you are looking at your worth as a human being. One of the key lessons I have learned over a lifetime of dealing with the mental illness in my own family, my clients, and in my life is...WE ARE NOT OUR ILLNESS.  You have depression.  You are not depression.  You have bipolar disorder.  You are not bipolar disorder.  You have OCD.  You are not OCD.  You have anorexia.  You are not anorexia. And as I realized as I created friendships with clients and with other human beings that I have met in my travels through support groups and through life, people are human underneath the mental illness.

Personally, I have found that honesty about my history of depression serves to help me let go of the shame.  I have been honest about it at work. (There is still stigma out there, so I suggest that you evaluate your situation before doing what I have done.)  I'm honest about it in relationships.  I'm honest about it in general.  Because I believe that there is NO shame in having a mental illness.  I think the shame comes from denial.  When I worked in addictions treatment, there was a truism that we are only as sick as our secrets.  I believe that is the truth.  I am who I am.  I am a human being with flaws.  I am also a human being with strengths.  I don't see a need to keep my mental illness a secret. Because when I'm honest and open about who I am, I'm being more accepting of myself.  And as I deal with the fact that I have a mental illness, I know that my first task in recovery is to accept myself.

I suggest you read the Huffington Post article.  And I would love to have you to share with me what you think about it.  Do you take on the shame?  Do you accept yourself and your loved one living with mental illness?  How does that impact your life?  Let's talk!  In sharing comes healing...

No comments: