Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The connection between mind and body...how much is at the core of mental illness?.........

I've written about this before.  I believe that there is a close connection between my mood issues and physical problems.  Research lends credence to that view.  I would love to talk about some of the most promising areas of research, but I'm afraid that my lack of scientific understanding would make my discussion inadequate.  So, I will concentrate on an area that I really do know.  I have noticed that maintaining my mood has been more difficult lately.  I have also noticed that I'm much more tired. Sometimes I find myself going to sleep in the early evening...and sleeping through till morning. When this occurs night after night, you have to assume that something is going on. And I did. So, one of my goals in going to the doctor was to check this possibility out.  And thankfully, that has been done.  I have hypothyroid.  My symptoms were consistent with a problem with my thyroid.  I was taking my medication, so I was a little surprised that I started having problems again.

My blood test turned out to be interesting.  It appears that my medication was inadequate.  My thyroid has gotten considerably worse.  My doctor has doubled my medication.  And he isn't certain that will be enough.  So, we will be keeping an eye on this issue.  Hopefully, with adequate medication in my system, my struggle will again become easier.  While I know that there are other factors at play in my lifelong struggle, I believe totally that the physical problem with my thyroid has had a huge impact. Which brings me to my thought about this life occurrence:  If my struggle with mental illness has at it's core a physical issue, is that true for other mental illnesses?  What kinds of connections can we find between the physical and the mental with other illnesses?  Is schizophrenia a physical problem at it's core?  How about OCD?   Of course, addiction has a physical component.  Doesn't it?  Given the fact that I'm not a medical professional or a scientist, I know that my knowledge is pretty limited.  But it makes me wonder: Was Maxine dealing with a physical issue that caused her psychiatric problems?  Could she have been healed through medical treatment?  Now, obviously...I don't know.  But it is amazing to think that could be the case.

Now, lest you think that my experience is unique, I can tell you it isn't.  I have a friend in a support group who has similar issues with thyroid and depression.  It is part and parcel of having hypothyroid.  The tiredness and mood issues have been only part of the problems that I have had as a result of my thyroid.  Which increases my suspicion that mental illness may be very connected to physical problems.  And makes me extremely grateful for research into the mind/body connection.  It leads to all sorts of thoughts:  How could this change treatment for mental illness?  Would there be more people able to look forward to 'recovery' as evidenced by increased ability to function?  What gifts could we find in continued research into the connection between mind and body illnesses?  The thought is mind-boggling......

What do you think?  Let's talk!!

No comments: