Saturday, March 7, 2015

Providing integrated care....

To my great shock and satisfaction, my new clinic provides mental health assistance. When I meet with my doctor, I am automatically given a short session with a mental health counselor to check on my mental health. My physical and mental health are very linked, so this is awesome. If I am struggling, I know that my mental health needs won't be ignored.  Given the fact that I'm more used to having my mental health needs ignored by the medical community, this has been a little bit of a surprise.  Many times doctors seem to be uncomfortable dealing with mental health issues. From the times that my family doctor didn't have a clue about what to do or suggest regarding Maxine, I have known personally that the medical profession has issues treating mental illness. So, I am very interested when I see any attempt to integrate care.  And there are people out there who are aware that there is a need to re-evaluate our mental health system.  Especially in regards to individuals living with SMI (Serious Mental Illness).  As I have frequently discussed in this blog. individuals living with SMI are more than significantly represented in the numbers of homeless and jailed in our society.

As I have been enjoying my new access to mental health care, I found an interesting article that deals with the need to expand and integrate our health care system. It appears that Representative Tim Murphy (R) of Pennsylvania and Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson (D) of Texas co-sponsored a bill called the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act.  This act seems to be an attempt to create a state-of-the-art system to deal with the needs of families dealing with a family member with SMI.  Here is a link to the article: http://bit.ly1KC7piN

Health care is up for debate. As you can see if you read the news, our society is struggling with how we will deal with health needs generally. So, it seems we are at a cross-roads.  Will we address the needs of those struggling with mental illness in our society?  Will we provide integrated and consistent care?  Either way we go, there are costs.  Homelessness and jail are both very costly. So is providing an adequate system of physical and mental health care. To ignore the seriousness of the need is to sentence our society to steadily increasing costs in a system that is short-sighted and inhumane.  Here is my suggestion: Read the article.  Let me know what you think about the proposal. Share your experiences obtaining mental health care in our current system. I would love to talk to you.







No comments: