Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Family issues.....more thoughts.......

A reader of my blog commented on my family article by posting information about addiction and alcoholism. The information was about the family issues connected to addiction. It was excellent information.  As Brian Burgess pointed out, when you treat an alcoholic or addict, you have to treat the issues underlying the addiction.  For many people, that is a mental illness. The mental illness will have to be addressed.  Or you won't be able to maintain sobriety.  Treatment will also focus on the family patterns in relation to the addiction, That is because addiction is a disease that impacts the family and family patterns are part and parcel of the disease.  And there needs to be healing for the family also. I  think that is true for mental illness. Many of you may be dealing with substance abuse issues. Which means that you use alcohol and/or other drugs in addition to the mental illness.  It is a fact that substance abuse and mental illness frequently go hand-in-hand. People attempt to deal with mental illness by abusively using substances. I know something about that from professional experiences.  I worked in addiction programs and assisted with the family programs. I also created and ran a family program when I was a coordinator for a long-term treatment program that treated pregnant addicts.  What Brian shared is important to long-term recovery.  I will post a link to the information for those of you struggling.

 Maxine wasn't a substance abuser.  Except for her cigarettes.  She didn't drink or take illegal drugs. She didn't over-use her medication.  She was rarely compliant with medication at all, and nothing that she was given would lead to addiction.  Our doctor made no effort that I'm aware of to deal with Maxine's psychiatric issues.  Nothing.  He didn't know what to do.  She wasn't cooperative with any suggestion that the problem was hers. This was confirmed for me when I met with my doctor before my marriage and he told me that he was grateful that I'd survived. He knew Maxine was mentally ill, but at that time, there really was nothing he could do.  And our family was no more successful at finding help for Maxine.  Unless she volunteered, we were stopped in our tracks.  There was never a time that she was suicidal or homicidal.  Nobody ever came out to our house and questioned her parenting (even though as the child, I thought they should have). Nothing was done.

So, here is my perspective: If you have the opportunity to get help...do it.  At this time in our history, we are at least struggling with how to make mental health and addiction treatment available.  I don't think anybody even cared when Maxine was so sick.  At least it wasn't a topic that was discussed.  In getting help, there may be family programs to help your family become part of your recovery in a productive way. You will have to deal with the impact of your behavior on your family in addition to exploring the impact of their behavior on you.  Especially when we are talking about abusive drug and alcohol use. But in the meantime, find support in whatever way you can.  When you talk about problems and issues honestly with people, someone may be able to help you find the path forward.  If you don't have access to treatment right at this minute, you need someone there to help you simply get through. The mental illness and addiction may keep you isolated.  BATTLE THAT! Reach out. All my love......


Here is the information posted by Brian Burgess: http://bit.ly/1wkCRoj
Even though it discusses addiction in teenagers, I think it has some information for older people.  

No comments: