Saturday, June 4, 2016

The meaning in my life......

Maxine was really my first and best teacher.  She taught me about pain and compassion.  She taught me about fear and lack of hope.  And she taught me a whole bunch about mental illness. What she taught me can't be found in book learning.  The irony, of course, is that she had no clue that she was teaching me these things.  I would hazard a guess that she would've been shocked and angered that I believed that she taught me about mental illness. But it is fact.  Maxine gave me many gifts in the middle of all the pain. And I really do thank her on a daily basis. How did this come up?

I was given a compliment at work.  I reached out to a customer. And she made an effort to let my employer know about it. And this isn't something that happens on rare occasions.  But I really do recognize the truth.  Maxine helped create it.  She taught me how to reach out.  She taught me that there is a human being underneath it all. So, when I can find my center... I know what to do.  I did the same when I worked in the field.  I knew the person behind the illness. I learned to listen.  I learned how to suspend judgement. I learned how to be open.  And those skills have contributed to all the success I have had in life.  Even in this retail job.  In short, Maxine helps me access the love in my heart and soul.

What a gift. Mom...you are there in every loving interaction.  You have created me. And the enormity of that gift is overwhelming. I am so grateful.  Thank you. Ultimately you taught me that I have the power to create love where there is pain. And I think that many can relate.  What have the most painful aspects of your life taught you?  What are the gifts?  Let's make a choice to celebrate them today.  Let's talk!  Sending much love.....

No comments: