Monday, March 28, 2016

Finding courage....the relationship between hope and willingness.........

I have a good friend who is dealing with a health issue.  It is a physical illness that could very well lead to her death. At this point, the illness is very slowly progressing. Which obviously means that her risk of dying is decreased if she is able to maintain the slow progression of the disease. My friend, being intelligent, did some research about treatments and tools that are likely to increase her chance of success. She found that stress and her attitudes could strongly influence the path her disease and life take.  Seems like a really difficult problem for someone to have.  While she is facing a potentially fatal disease, she is learning that the attitude she approaches it with may make all the difference. Kind of reminds me of my experience with depression.  We all know that depression can also lead to death. In all illnesses, I believe that there is a mind/body connection.

At the core of it, if you can't maintain hope, you will speed up the progression of your disease.  People without hope don't get treatment.  People without hope don't use tools. People without hope don't reach out for support.  They isolate. And to survive, they have to be willing to obtain treatment, use tools, and find support. Surviving depression and increasing your chances of living in spite of serious physical illness seem to have a commonality. Hope. And the active manifestation of hope, which is willingness to take action.

The reality for me was that I had support when I battled the worst depression of my life.  And I was able to use that support to make change.  I took the steps necessary, including moving to Tennessee.  When I got to Tennessee, I used all the tools I needed to in order to deal with the fact that I'm living with mental illness.  The action, and my willingness, likely saved my life. Treatment, spirituality, physical exercise, and the other changes I made led to a long and satisfying recovery.  I was amazed.  I'd lived without real hope for a long time.

For my friend, maintaining a positive attitude will make her survival more likely.  She needs support, and willingness to use tools.  Her health and future are dependent on it.  I've always wondered how I would face the challenge of a potentially fatal physical illness.  I believe my friend has the hope and willingness to do so. She also has courage in spades.  I'm learning from watching her.

How can you relate to this discussion?  Have you been able to create hope in spite of depression? How? Let's talk!  Sending love.......

No comments: