Saturday, August 29, 2015

What is the "right" way?........

And who should determine your approach in dealing with mental illness? YOU! Why did this come up?  Due to the way I phrased a Tweet introducing my last post, I had a woman troll me accusing me of "promoting" medication.  Her point was that if someone was told that medication was a first step, then that is 'promoting' medication.  My point was that in spite of the way that I phrased my Tweet, my article had nothing to do with medication being the only tool.  I also confronted her on the fact that she had only read the Tweet...and not my article...so she had no idea about what I was actually discussing. The point of what I'd said is that medication is only the first step in dealing with mental illness.  Medication can help with the biochemical problem.  You have to work on the rest of it. I have seen and talked to many people who take medications and expect that will solve things. For many, it is an important step.  As I've said many times, I've had a front-row seat over many years watching how mental illness is treated in our society.  And, most of the time, not treated. Utilizing the tools that we have is important. But medication doesn't usually solve ALL the problems. I know from personal and professional experience that it can be a 'step' in the right direction. But I also know from personal and professional experience that it isn't the entire solution for most people.

So, what did I get out of this discussion with this woman on Twitter?  First, the way I phrase things can be confusing for people. And I need to be aware of how what I say is viewed. However, this discussion really wasn't about me. It was about her belief that when people are told to take medications first, it amounts to 'force'.  Since I know nothing about what really happened in her life, I have no idea whether that happened to her as she claimed. But here is what I do know...people have beliefs. They think they know what is 'good' and 'right' for other people.  I hear people all the time who have opinions: Medication is good.  Medication is bad.  Only natural remedies work.  Therapy is the answer.  Hypnosis is the right way.  Diet solves all.  Get exercise and your depression will disappear. My usual response is: What do you know about MY body and my situation that leads you to believe that you have my answer?  It is difficult to know what will work for any one person.  And as I have learned, I can only talk to people about what is out there.  And what steps worked for me.  

Whenever I hear people with the 'opinion' that medication is a scheme from doctors and the pharmaceutical companies to make us dependent on chemicals, I remember Maxine.  Who had NO access to medication. And lived out a life-long struggle with severe and chronic mental illness. Would it have been so terrible if she had been treated with medication?  Not in my opinion. And I had to live with her. Maxine had value. It would have been so wonderful to have my Mom in her right mind. I had a great Mom underneath that illness. Her mental illness had a huge impact on her life...and the lives of her family. THAT is why I feel compelled to write. So, if I word something in a way that confuses you...please ask me what I meant. Don't attack and tell me what I believe.  I will cut you off if you do. And remember that I have as much right to my beliefs as you do. The subject of mental illness and recovery is tremendously complex.  In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. Just options for different people. We are here to share. Not to tell other people that their approach is 'wrong'. Thanks for listening to me. Let's talk!

No comments: