Friday, February 20, 2015

Creating movements.......And so it continues.......

In making the decision to advocate, I'm recognizing the influence that one person can have on a conversation.  Even more importantly, I'm recognizing the fact that when more than one person joins the conversation...change can happen. The most enduring reality from growing up with Maxine was that mental illness wasn't discussed.  Clearly, my Mom was seen in the neighborhood.  She was really out there sometimes.  But people didn't know what to say, and so they said nothing.  When I grew to adulthood, I did get the recognition that there was a problem.  I had a couple of conversations of the "So glad you survived" variety.  But as a child, I never felt that support.  And the silence was a huge source of pain for me.  Nobody ever told me they cared about how I was doing.  Or at least, I don't remember hearing that.

Pretending that the problem doesn't exist isn't really an option anymore.  Mental illness has had a huge impact on our lives.  It is a factor in criminal activity. It is connected to some of the biggest social issues of our time, like homelessness and violence. It occurs in huge numbers.  And when people ignore it, we know it leads to all sorts of problems.  So, like other issues...now it is in our faces.  Almost daring us to ignore it.  But some people still choose to put their heads in the sand.  I still get those blank stares when I tell people that I write a blog about mental illness.  Which I do regularly.  Now, I find it almost funny to challenge their perceptions. I'm probably not what you picture when you think about mental illness. An older lady who works and functions.  But I'm exactly what you should picture.  And so is everybody else in this diverse world living with mental illness. We aren't one type of person.  Or one thing.  We are human. With all the problems and potential that other human beings have.  And so a movement is created.....

What does advocacy mean?  I'm really thinking about that issue.  Seriously.  Right now, that is the focus of my life.  What do I want to accomplish?  What is the point of talking?  First and foremost...I'm all about education.  I want people to know me.  And my story.  Because Maxine wasn't the only one.  I know that now.  I didn't as a child.  Secondly, I want our norms to change surrounding the ease of finding treatment for mental illness.  I think that without a comprehensive system for obtaining help, people are truly lost.  Third, I want people to be accepted in society in spite of mental illness.  I want to address stigma and it's impact on housing, employment, and relationships.  I want families who experience the stress of dealing with it to know that they are covered. Finally, I want people living with mental illness to KNOW that there is support out there...there are tools that can lead to feeling better...and I want to be available for people needing a shoulder to cry on. Those are MY goals.  What would yours be?  Let's talk!

No comments: