Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Responding only during crisis.........

I remember the feeling of panic I had in Orlando when my business was failing, I was lonely because my family was in Tennessee. And because I was in business on my own, I couldn't afford insurance or healthcare. I was extremely depressed. I honestly feared that I wouldn't survive. My physical health wasn't good. The combination of physical and mental illness was potent. It was a crisis.

But I can look back on my life and see the more chronic aspects of the problem.  I have lived a good portion of my life struggling with depression. I wasn't always in crisis. Personally, I think the chronic nature of mental illness is what is so debilitating. I have seen many people chronically dealing with mental illness. As I've often said....Maxine was seriously mentally ill. But her illness wasn't 'crisis'. Her illness was simply everyday for our family. And that was where most of the pain came from. We never got a real break. Maxine was always mentally ill.

The times of crisis are always very frightening. I know that my daughter was very fearful as I struggled in Orlando. I'm sure that the thought crossed her mind that she might lose me.  But while I did my best to be a good and attentive mother, I'm sure the chronic nature of my depression influenced her life even more. And that strikes me as the heart of the problem.  The fact is that the day to day of dealing with mental illness can be very overwhelming.

While many times human beings wait for the crisis to make change, that shouldn't be the only approach.  What would happen if we made mental health as important to monitor as physical health?  What would happen if we were willing to work through denial and get help when it is needed? What would happen if stigma was eradicated? What would happen if assistance for mental illness was readily available?  Logic tells me that there would be less crisis. And maybe that fewer families would fall through the cracks like mine did.

How can you relate to this discussion?  Let's talk.  That's the only way that we can start to create the tsunami that will lead to change. Sending much love.....


No comments: