Friday, April 8, 2016

A Force To Be Reckoned With Meets Her Final Challenge....

My Aunt A. was an important reason I survived Maxine. She was always there for my family, spending hours on the phone talking to my Mom in order to calm her down and provide support. She was there for my Dad.  Of course, she has also been there for me throughout my sometimes turbulent life. In addition, this tiny woman was married to a creative and somewhat strong-willed man. In spite of her diminutive stature, she was never cowed by him. And she raised three children of her own. She also worked a demanding job as the office manager of a department at a major university. Finally, she earned a degree in political science from the same university. On her lunch hour. At 4" 11', this woman was a force to be reckoned with.

Now, in her later years, she is facing the ultimate challenge. Aunt A. is living with Alzheimer's Disease. And I see that same spirit in this battle.  Although I'm not with her every day because we live a long way from each other, I still hear her character shine through in every phone call. We have always had a relatively honest relationship.  So, I wasn't surprised when she told me earlier in the battle with this overwhelming disease that she wished she could kill herself. But she didn't. Instead, she has faced the challenge. With the same strength and grace I have always seen in her.

When I look back at what she gave me, I'm awed.  She showed me how to live life on life's terms. She was my first introduction to a human being living in love and possibility. Aunt A. is so much bigger than her height would indicate. The power in this woman is extraordinary. I'm so grateful that she was there for me, because she taught me how to live. And as the Alzheimer's progresses, she continues to lead by example.  Her light may appear to be dimming, but it shines as strongly as ever for me. Truly, I will love you forever, Aunt A.  Thank you for being who you are.

Thank you, my dear friends, for listening.  Sending much love.....

No comments: