Saturday, December 15, 2012

What are other people saying?



As I make attempts to explore what others say about living with mental illness, I search out blogs that I find educational or informative.  And that I may be able to relate to. One of those that I have recently discovered is a blog written by Natalie Jean Champagne.  In her blog, on Healthy Place…America’s Mental Health Channel, she writes about “Mental Illness, stress….and Relapse”.  Her blog article is excellent.  And provides a great picture of what life is like for a mentally ill person.  She has a great handle on how her illness shows up.  And presents the picture with a wonderful, ironic tone.  Here is the link to the article I enjoyed: http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/recoveringfrommentalillness/ 


Now, here is what I can relate to in what she has written.  First of all, she talks very clearly of how being in bed is so tempting when a depressed person struggles.  I hide out in my bedroom.  Sometimes with the TV blaring.  I lose any desire to do anything but sleep.  Or read.  I want to escape.  And I have done this many times when I am the most depressed.  The funny part of it for me at the moment is that I sometimes work virtually.  This means that I sometimes work from my bedroom.  And so, how do I know whether I am depressed or not?  Well, if I am depressed, I won’t be doing any client work.  I may be writing, but if I am…it means that I am fighting the depression. So, unless you visit me, you will not know whether the fact that I am hanging out in my bedroom means depression or not.


She also talks about why the feeling of not being ‘safe’ is so important in depression.  Depressed people struggle sometimes.  Depression can impact the energy you have to put into a career.  Or into careful management of money.  Or into creating and nurturing a support system.  As I learn more about myself and what I do when I am depressed, I am clear on how I sabotage my own life experience.  I know what to do.  And I still resist doing it.  This is always about whether I believe I can do it.  How silly is that?  I have done it while assisting other people.  But I don’t think I can help myself.  


Finally, she talks about the relationship between stress and depression.  For me, depression is basically an illness that attacks your coping skills.  If I am functioning and fairly stable emotionally, I have no problem coping.  I know what to do in most situations.  And if I don’t know what to do, I know how to find out what to do.  But what happens when the stress in my life overwhelms me?  The depression takes over.  And I don’t do such a good job.  I do what a depressed person does when they are overwhelmed.  I hide out.  


So, what can I relate to in what she does to deal with the depression?  First of all, I have to blast myself out of bed.  Just like Natalie.  And while I may still be sitting on my bed in my room, I need to be writing or doing client work.  Or taking care of my personal business.  I used to tell clients that they should do one thing every day to make an improvement in their situation.  I need to follow my own advice.  And JUST DO IT!  Of course, the theory behind that is that once I do that one thing, I will feel like I am on a roll.  And I will continue working on things.  Usually that works.  And I have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day which is a natural antidote to depression for me. The second thing I can relate to is her emphasis on taking care of myself physically.  That means taking meds.  Talking to a doctor.  And eating correctly.  I would add on to what she said.  I would also recommend getting some exercise.  Taking a fast walk does a lot for my mood.  

So what does this discussion say to you?  And can you see what is needed to move forward?  Let me know what you are thinking.  I really do care. And read some more.  People are talking.  Get involved in the conversation.  


No comments: